Malta Temporary Card – Work Permit in Malta

All international students (EU and non-EU) are required to apply for a Temporary Residence Card (TRC) on the basis of their studies in order to reside legally in Malta. Our Team works closely with students to assist them with submitting their TRC at the Identity Malta Office.

Here are the 3 easy steps you will take!

Step 1

  • After arrival in Malta, college orientation
    ↓ TRC Checklist of documents.

Step 2

  • Within the first few weeks of your studies, our Student Affairs team will assist you with filling out the application and gathering the proper documents, including your housing documents (must be signed by the owner of the apartment).

  • Please note: You should allow for 3-4 weeks for preparation of documents and submission.

Step 3

  • Our Student Affairs Staff will then take you personally to the ID Malta Office to submit your application (usually we take a group every Thursday). Upon submission of the TRC application, you will receive a “Blue Paper” which allows you to stay legally on the territory of Malta, even if your visa expires. The Blue Paper is valid for 4 months and within that time you should receive a letter in the mail telling you to pick up your card.

Important Notes on your TRC

Do not expect the TRC process to be quick. Expect an average of 3 months to receive your card. We will NOT able to expedite the process.

If you are approaching 3 months and you have not received your card yet, our Student Affairs team will contact ID Malta to check on the status of your card.

Do not make any travel plans to leave Malta while you are waiting for your TRC. Your Blue Paper does not allow you to travel outside of Malta.

Take close note of the Attendance Policy for your classes, outlined in your syllabus. If you do not meet attendance requirements, we will immediately cancel your TRC with ID Malta.

Your TRC & Working in Malta

Students are allowed to work part-time up to 20 hours a week but must have a valid TRC first.

Do not expect to work in Malta during the first 3 - 4 months. You should plan to have enough financial resources to cover your living expenses in Malta for this period.

After you receive your TRC you can apply for jobs around the island and you will be able to register your employment with JobsPlus in Malta. However, your students should be your primary focus, not working. Attendance is mandatory in all classes. If we determines that you are prioritizing your job over your studies and missing class, we will immediately cancel your TRC with ID Malta.


These regulations apply to third-country nationals accepted by an institution licensed by the National Commission for Higher Education to pursue a full-time course of study leading to a higher education qualification (refer to the checklist). The qualification must be recognised by the Malta Qualification Recognition Information Centre at MQF level 5. Courses may also include a preparatory programme which leads to the higher-education qualification. Third-country nationals who are visa exempt must submit their application for a residence permit within three months from their date of entry within the European Union territory. Other non-European nationals who need a visa to travel to the Schengen Area must be in possession of a visa issued for education purposes. Applications must be submitted by the applicant in person whilst in Malta.

Residence permits are also granted for the purpose of study whenever the course level does not fall under specified the levels in Subsidiary Legislation 217.22.

Copyright © Malta Student Visa 2020. All right reserved.
Created by